Fun morning at the BC Co-op Association's Co-op Cafe! Interesting conversation with interesting people.
- Credit unions bask in kudos from CFIB
- Co-ops Remain Sturdy Businesses
- Credit Unions make notable contributions to economy, communities, report finds
- Collaborative economy: an opportunity for cooperatives - new study released
- Wednesday Oct 26 at 8am: Co-op Cafe
Lost and Found Cafe at 33 West Hastings Street
Join fellow co-operators for morning coffee and conversation
- Tuesdays @ 5pm: Groundswell Social Impact Speaker Series
- November 2 -5, 2016: Canadian Worker Coop Federation Conference Solidarity Works http://canadianworker.coop/
- Friday November 4th @ 11am: Leap Manifesto & Worker Co-op Movement
at the Canadian Worker Coop Federation Conference
Open the public, please RSVP
Music intro - Bruce Cockburn "Going to the Country"IntroThis summer I went kayaking out of a community called Cedar just south of Nanaimo. The paddling was amazing with beautiful sandstone cliffs and huge arbutus trees in full bloom – but there was something else very special about Cedar that I didn't know about at the time [...]
Thursday was Credit Union day and CCEC Credit Union celebrated with their annual pancake breakfast. Groundswell Grassroots Economic Alternatives, Vancouver Co-op Radio CFRO, the BC Cooperative Association, and Each For All: The Co-operative Connection were there!
- Last week was the 2016 International Summit of Co-operatives. Co-ops and Mutuals from around the world converged on Quebec to discuss issues. The Summit was focused on four topics. These include Cooperatives in Action, Expanding Economic Power, and increasing the capacity to act. We have links to summit coverage on our website.
- International Co-operative Alliance president Monique Leroux will head a new Quebec government task force on the economy. Leroux is former president of Desjardins.
- Coast Capital Savings is asking members whether it should expand to a national organization. In a press release the institution states, Becoming a federal credit union would enable Coast Capital to bring members new products and deliver new online banking and mobile technology faster than ever before. Some members express concern that Coast Capital will become less accountable to members if it expands.
- Members of the United Steelworkers Union local 1-404 & 9705 served 72 hour strike notice on Kootenay Saving Credit Union yesterday. This comes after four days of mediation with a provincial mediator. The union will be a legal position to strike on Friday.
- October 16 - 22, 2016 Co-op Week
- Thursday October 20, 2016 Credit Union Day
- Thursday October 20, 2016 @ 10am CCEC Pancake Breakfast
CCEC branch on Commercial Drive
Co-op radio and Each For All will be there. Come by and say hello!
- Saturday October 22, 2016 CHFBC Co-op Housing Education Conference
- Tuesdays @ 5pm to November 1st Groundswell Social Impact Speaker Series
- November 2 -5, 2016 Canadian Worker Coop Federation Conference
- Saturday November 19, 2016 Media Democracy Days
- Sunday November 20, 2016 CHFBC AGM
If you have news or events to tell us about, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The 3rd annual International Summit of Co-operatives started today in Quebec. Over 2,800 participants are expected from around the world.
The Co-operative News also has coverage: http://www.thenews.coop
- The Canadian Housing Federation of BC presented a budget brief to the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services today. Executive Director Thom Armstrong and Board of Directors President Patty Shaw appearing before the committee this afternoon in Victoria. Armstrong and Shaw outlined the current financial situation housing co-ops find themselves in. They also answered committee questions. CHFBC requested provincially funded rent supplements for low income co-op members. This would replace federal subsidies that expire between now and 2025.
- Local Victoria BC co-op Stocksy featured on the Forbes website
- The International Summit of Co-operatives, Quebec
October 11 - 13, 2016
- Groundswell Information Session
Thursday October 13 @ 4pm, Vancouver Public Library Central Branch
- Co-op Week
October 16 - 22, 2016
- The New Economy movie premiere at the Rio Theatre
Monday October 17, 2016
- Credit Union Day
Thursday October 20, 2016
- CCEC Pancake Breakfast
Thursday October 20, 2016 @ 10am
- Canadian Housing Federation BC Co-op Housing Education Conference
Saturday October 22, 2016
- Groundswell Social Impact Speaker Series
Tuesdays @ 5pm to October 18th
- Canadian Worker Coop Federation Conference
November 2 -5, 2016
- Circle Craft Winter Market
November 9 - 13, 2016
If you have an event or news to tell us about, our email address is email@example.com.
- Toronto Housing Summit (Friday September 30, 2016)
- Gender Diversity in the Co-op and Mutuals Sector
- Iran will host a national conference on co-operative schools
- October 11 - 13, 2016: The International Summit of Co-operatives, Quebec
- October 16 - 22, 2016: Co-op Week
- Monday October 17, 2016: The New Economy movie premiere
- Thursday October 20, 2016: Credit Union Day
- Thursday October 20, 2016: CCEC Credit Union pancake breakfast
- November 2 -5, 2016: Canadian Worker Coop Federation Conference