Happy Co-op Week, everyone!
- Last week was the 2016 International Summit of Co-operatives. Co-ops and Mutuals from around the world converged on Quebec to discuss issues. The Summit was focused on four topics. These include Cooperatives in Action, Expanding Economic Power, and increasing the capacity to act. We have links to summit coverage on our website.
- International Co-operative Alliance president Monique Leroux will head a new Quebec government task force on the economy. Leroux is former president of Desjardins.
- Coast Capital Savings is asking members whether it should expand to a national organization. In a press release the institution states, Becoming a federal credit union would enable Coast Capital to bring members new products and deliver new online banking and mobile technology faster than ever before. Some members express concern that Coast Capital will become less accountable to members if it expands.
- Members of the United Steelworkers Union local 1-404 & 9705 served 72 hour strike notice on Kootenay Saving Credit Union yesterday. This comes after four days of mediation with a provincial mediator. The union will be a legal position to strike on Friday.
- October 16 – 22, 2016 Co-op Week
- Thursday October 20, 2016 Credit Union Day
- Thursday October 20, 2016 @ 10am CCEC Pancake Breakfast
CCEC branch on Commercial Drive
Co-op radio and Each For All will be there. Come by and say hello!
- Saturday October 22, 2016 CHFBC Co-op Housing Education Conference
- Tuesdays @ 5pm to November 1st Groundswell Social Impact Speaker Series
- November 2 -5, 2016 Canadian Worker Coop Federation Conference
- Saturday November 19, 2016 Media Democracy Days
- Sunday November 20, 2016 CHFBC AGM
If you have news or events to tell us about, email firstname.lastname@example.org.